Skip to main content

Scotlands Comic Con 2015


So on Sunday I got to go to my first ever Comic Con. I had no idea what to expect, and I never expected to see half the stuff I did. Can I just say ladies, we DO NOT need to dress like we're trolling the street corner, but more power to you all for having the confidence to walk around like that. I would have probably been way too self conscious to pull costumes like that off. I've always wanted to dress as Wonder Woman for Halloween but I always choose something else at the last minute as I get way too scared.



So firstly I felt old, so bloody well old. Like you have no idea. I also felt very underdressed as I was wearing jeans which were three times too big, a t-shirt which was also too big and you guessed it a checkered shirt which was too big. I wasn't there to look good, I was there to be comfy, and damn it I was! Yes 1/4 of the crowd was dressed just like me but if I had more warning (got tickets a few days beforehand) I probably would have dressed up.



Now I have all my pet peeves out the way let's continue shall we? I really enjoyed it, besides nearly seeing what one lady had from breakfast. The stalls were great, the artwork was absolutely amazing. I kept going between stalls and just wanting to buy every piece of artwork. I however am not made of money so I ended up only being able to buy a few pieces. But if I had the cash I would have bought way more stuff. Here is some of the shinies we bought.


My favorite thing has got to be the Tyrion picture, as he just stands there on a mound of bones a Cersei watches (there some red around her, maybe he's stabbed her). Gambit is pretty cool too but that belongs to my partner. He got really excited when he saw the pic. As you can see we are fans on Hydra in this house, I wanted a pin but decided a t-shirt would be much better. So the stalls are great and the comic book artists are amazing, I was staring a bit too much as an artist drew a picture at her booth, she may have found me creepy.



Now onto the costumes, well besides my objections they were pretty great. The most popular costumes seemed to be both Deadpool and Harley Quinn, but I didn't get a photo of any of them. My bad. There were just so many that the nostalgia wore off. I was desperately trying to find someone dressed as Hit Girl to get a photo with but no one dawned the costume. Most women as I said where dressed as Harley and most girls had an Elsa outfit on. Ah well there's always next year.


The guy dressed as Boba was spot on, and he was the only Boba I encountered that day. Which I found strange. He was also really nice about me posing like a complete idiot next to him. My other favorites include a full on Dalek (I was so scared of him, he had the voice and everything), a guy dress like Captain Tarfful and a woman dressed as the Winter Soldier (I kept meaning to get a picture with her). Most of the other costumes where all Anime related, and if you like that sort of thing good on yeh but I have never watched any anime in my life, and had no scooby who anyone was dressed up as. Sorry.


This guy was so tall I thought any picture we may be in together might be compromised by my head being well you can imagine. I would have been roasting walking around in that costume all day, I was really warm myself and remember what I said I was wearing? Poor guy. I also only encountered one real looking Stormtrooper, I was so tired by this photo I never noticed the gun at my face. Otherwise I would have posed with my hands up.


My highlight of the full day had to be meeting Robert Llewellyn, ok staring at Robert Llewellyn while my partner told him how long he's been watching Red Dwarf and how much he loves Kryten. I couldn't get a word in edgeways but if I did it would probably sound some like "Blahahmahoonah!" It really must have seemed like I was just there to hold the bags and the camera but I really do LOVE Red Dwarf and wished I could have asked him a few questions myself. I mean this is how excited I was in the queue.



He seemed like a guy you could really have a pint with, or even sit down with a cup of tea, and he was also nice enough to take a picture with John who looks super nervous in this photo. He was also nice enough to tell us that they were filming Red Dwarf XI shortly and he had to get into acting mode for it as he doesn't act anymore, well besides from Kryten. I'm sure you'd be great in anything else you try Mr Llewellyn. Top bloke.


Now that's what I did on Sunday, overall I had a great time, even if it wasn't San Diego and would really recommend that everyone go to there local Comic Con and see what there local talent can do. I will definitely be going next year and there's talk we may go to London next month, that was before we found out about there's a Star Wars convention later in the year. Ah so much geek, so little time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Illness in TV and Film - Dementors

                                                                                                      Image Source Dementors have haunted me ever since I read The Prisoner of Azkaban way back in 1999. I was a Pre-Teen who was pretty much unaware of the depression that was just around the corner, in a way this book prepared me for what was to come, and after multiple reads, it became my go-to reference when explaining my depression. First off let's give a brief outline of Dementors, these magical wraith-like creatures can generally be found guarding Azkaban Prison, sucking the happiness, hope, and peace out of everyone around them. If you have had a horrible life marked by loss and abuse (just like Harry) you are much more affected by them than someone who has not, as they also cause depression and despair in there victims. They can sense and taste fear, but thankfully they can't seem to tell people of the same build from each other, and they are able to communicate wit

Jessica Jones Episodes 1-2

                                                                          [Courtesy of Marvel/Netflix] Jessica Jones launched this Friday and after a weekend of mostly binge watching I decided it was time to talk about it. I really enjoyed this show and will be giving my opinion on the first two episodes below. SPOILER warning for those who haven't watch any of these episodes as I will be analysing each episode. A.K.A Ladies Night                                                                           [Courtesy of Marvel/Netflix] So in the first episode Jessica (Krysten Ritter) is a loner, she stays from people as they just cause complications. We get a sense that she has done something, something dark, but we don't quite know what it could be. The day starts with an argument with a client who she throws through her door, she then narrates her typical New York day, and she ends it by spying on Luke Cage (Mike Colter). She wakes up in her apartment to find Malcolm

Thanksgiving

                                                                                      [Courtesy of Fox] So I'm Scottish and we don't get the whole Thanksgiving thing, but I have watched a lot of movies and television which give the rest of the world a nice little insight into this holiday. So you have time off work, you're not taking part in those crazy sales (which have also became a tradition over here, thanks), and you're stuffed from eating your weight in delicious foods. What do you watch? Harry Potter                                                                  [Courtesy of Warner Bros] So I don't know about you but nothing screams November more than our beloved Harry Potter, and there are eight movies for you to binge watch throughout the weekend. I just rewatched these and they hold up, you'll feel the magic, panic and feel relieved as the battle comes to a close. Witness Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe), a poor orphan boy who lives in a cu