Skip to main content

Outlander


As a Scot the 18th of September will always be synonymous to me, no matter what side I was on. For those of you who don't know Scotland voted in there independence referendum a year ago to the day. So as I will have everything Scotland on my mind today I decided to dedicate my blog to everything Scottish for the day.

So we are going to talk about Outlander who studios are about a ten minute drive away from my house. The release in the UK was pushed back due to the independence referendum at a request from the Prime Minister as he felt it could have political implications on the union. I don't blame him, the red coats are pretty brutal in this series.

Outlander is based on Diana Gabaldon's novel series. For those who haven't see the show or read the books this is the story of Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe) who is a married English combat nurse in the second world war. After the war she and her husband Frank (Tobias Menzies) go on a second honeymoon to Inverness, they try to reconnect after the war meant that they spent so much time apart but then Claire is swept back in time to 1743 Scotland.

Her life is constantly threatened in this unknown land where she comes into contact with Franks ancestor Jack Randall who is a red coat and her husband's spitting image. She is saved by Jamie (Sam Heughan) and is taken in by the Mackenzie clan. She doesn't speak the language as gaelic is prominent and we go on this journey with her as we don't know Gaelic either (when I grew up it wasn't taught at school but I am currently trying to learn thanks to http://learngaelic.net/) and there are no subtitles.

I don't want to spoil too much for those who haven't watched it but it is definitely one to watch, yes there is a hell of a lot of romance in it but there is also action and in the background a Jacobite rebellion. But don't believe what those pesky Mackenzies say about the MacDonald clan, it's just jealousy! Sorry I am a MacDonald descendant and it bothered me a little.

Now I am going to talk about season two so SPOILERS ARE COMING! Jamie and Claire are on there way to stop Bonnie Prince Charlie and many Highlanders from being massacred and the Highland way being outlawed due to the Jacobite rising of 1745. Pictures have been released of Jamie and Claire in France (it's really Prague) with Claire's costumes getting bigger and brighter due to the French fashion of the time, and Jamie appears to be wearing a kilt but I did hear he will also be wearing trousers this season.

In a twitter Q&A session Executive Producer Ron D. Moore stated season two won't be with us until March or April 2016. He also stated he won't be directing any episodes this season but he did write the seasons first episode. He also stated he wants to scare fans, even fans of the book, stating that fans shouldn't expect to know what he has in store for them.

I am looking forward to the new season and seeing what new hurdles Jamie and Claire need to jump over, will they save the Highland way? I hope all you SASSANACHS out there are just as excited as I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Illness in TV and Film - Dementors

                                                                                                      Image Source Dementors have haunted me ever since I read The Prisoner of Azkaban way back in 1999. I was a Pre-Teen who was pretty much unaware of the depression that was just around the corner, in a way this book prepared me for what was to come, and after multiple reads, it became my go-to reference when explaining my depression. First off let's give a brief outline of Dementors, these magical wraith-like creatures can generally be found guarding Azkaban Prison, sucking the happiness, hope, and peace out of everyone around them. If you have had a horrible life marked by loss and abuse (just like Harry) you are much more affected by them than someone who has not, as they also cause depression and despair in there victims. They can sense and taste fear, but thankfully they can't seem to tell people of the same build from each other, and they are able to communicate wit

Jessica Jones Episodes 1-2

                                                                          [Courtesy of Marvel/Netflix] Jessica Jones launched this Friday and after a weekend of mostly binge watching I decided it was time to talk about it. I really enjoyed this show and will be giving my opinion on the first two episodes below. SPOILER warning for those who haven't watch any of these episodes as I will be analysing each episode. A.K.A Ladies Night                                                                           [Courtesy of Marvel/Netflix] So in the first episode Jessica (Krysten Ritter) is a loner, she stays from people as they just cause complications. We get a sense that she has done something, something dark, but we don't quite know what it could be. The day starts with an argument with a client who she throws through her door, she then narrates her typical New York day, and she ends it by spying on Luke Cage (Mike Colter). She wakes up in her apartment to find Malcolm

Thanksgiving

                                                                                      [Courtesy of Fox] So I'm Scottish and we don't get the whole Thanksgiving thing, but I have watched a lot of movies and television which give the rest of the world a nice little insight into this holiday. So you have time off work, you're not taking part in those crazy sales (which have also became a tradition over here, thanks), and you're stuffed from eating your weight in delicious foods. What do you watch? Harry Potter                                                                  [Courtesy of Warner Bros] So I don't know about you but nothing screams November more than our beloved Harry Potter, and there are eight movies for you to binge watch throughout the weekend. I just rewatched these and they hold up, you'll feel the magic, panic and feel relieved as the battle comes to a close. Witness Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe), a poor orphan boy who lives in a cu