Skip to main content

Heroes Reborn Premiere Review


I'm going to do a quick overview along with my thoughts on this episode. SPOILERS ARE COMING! YEH BE WARNED! 

What can I say? I was super excited for this series, as I absolutely loved Heroes, but I won't sugar-coat it, I was a tad disappointed. Maybe it was just me building it way up in my head and maybe just like the old show this is going to take a few episodes for me to get into. I don't know, I think it will be different for me on a rewatch. I definitely enjoyed the performances, but something felt missing.

So it starts off a few years after the original when humans and evos are living in harmony and a festival is being held in Odessa, Texas (home to primatech) for Humans and Evo's to come together. Then suddenly a dark cloud or ship appears over head. Noah Bennett (Jack Coleman) then wakes up to destruction all around him, he has survived and we have no idea what has happened or why he has survived. We then see four flashbacks which I personally didn't need but I am sure in true Heroes fashion they will all connect, eventually.



A year after the events in Odessa and Mohinder Suresh is being blamed for what happened. Evo's are on the run or in hiding as there lives are being threatened and it seems as though humans don't care as one evo after another goes missing. Luke Collins (Zachary Levi) and his wife Joanne (Judith Shekoni) are hunting evos due to their son being killed in Odessa. So there blaming Evos and kill a whole support group room full of them. Why don't they go after Suresh as according to the news he is the one to blame. It just didn't make sense to me but what do I know?

A kid called Tommy is at the support group but leaves early due to a text message from what we think is his mother this leaves Luke and Joanne to figure out if they should hunt him down and kill him or just leave it and go onto their next group of targets. Luke then wonders why Suresh is being blamed in the papers for the incident he caused. Could Suresh be a scapegoat? Then our new high school character Tommy Clarke (Robbie Kay) just walks up to and sits across from Luke Collins like "Oh man, how did you survive when everyone else in that room died?" This was the funniest moment in the first two episodes, just because Luke was talking about him two seconds earlier and he just appears across from him. Tommy's ability is pretty cool, he can teleport people to where he thinks, and he teleports Luke and Joanne to the room where he was held as a kid. Tommy also has a guardian angel of sorts who is looking out for him.



Now onto the legend of El Vengador, an Evo who is fighting back and cleaning up the streets in LA. We then see an army vet called Carlos Gutierrez (Ryan Guzman), a hero who received the purple heart talking to his nephew José (Lucius Hoyos) and his school about his time in the army and the fact that anyone can be a hero. After school Carlos and José go on to talk about El Vengador and are stopped by Carlos' brother Oscar who then starts arguing with Carlos. We then see Carlos hitting the bottle pretty hard and then it's revealed Oscar is El Vengador but dies after an ambush. Does this mean Carlos is an evo too? Remember it does run in the family.

So then we jump to Tokyo and Miko (Kiki Sukezane) is stuck in a room in which Ren (Hu Ge) walks into. He tells her he has to come here as he's a famous gamer and this is where his clue for the game Evernow has lead him. This storyline is pretty weird, she has Hiro's sword somehow and her father is missing inside a video game. The sword is the key to saving him and she's then transported into the game, she has to fight off hordes of enemies to try and save her father. Miko gets knocked out and appears back in her room as well as another place which could be the Japanese version of Renatus (I'll get to that).



So remember I was talking about Noah way back at the beginning of this article? Well he is leading a normal life as a salesman and he appears to be getting married to another blonde. But a car keeps following him around, sick of being watched he goes and confronts the guy who turns out to be Quentin Frady (Henry Zebrowski). Turns out Quentin knows Noah worked for Primatech and thinks there is another explanation for what happened in Odessa.

Noah then finds a optometrists card in a folder, and goes to the office. Which is owned by no other than the Haitian. You see it turns out Noah had his mind erased which is why he doesn't know what happened in Odessa. He then decides to go with Quentin and check out the ruined Primatech facilities, as he needs to know why he get his memory erased in the first place. We then find out that the reason Quentin tracked down and is interested in Noah is due to his sister, an Evo,  who was taken by Renatus to be experimented on. He wants to find out where she is and expose the company for all they have done.



I don't want to poke and prod at it because I know it will all make sense eventually. Writing about it has made me have a new appreciation for these two episodes, which I wouldn't have had if I didn't write about it in the first place. Yes it's all over the place but that's the thing I liked most about Heroes, I know it will all make sense eventually. There were so many other characters we were introduced to who I haven't spoken about as I'd like to see more of them before making comment.

So what do I think will happen? I think Claire Bennett is not dead and that Noah erased his memory in order to save her from Renatus' detection. I think Renatus is behind the attack as they are weaponising Evo's. I think Luke will figure this out but will have to kill Joanne as she won't see any sense. That is all the theories I have and they are probably 100% wrong. What do you think?

YATTA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Illness in TV and Film - Dementors

                                                                                                      Image Source Dementors have haunted me ever since I read The Prisoner of Azkaban way back in 1999. I was a Pre-Teen who was pretty much unaware of the depression that was just around the corner, in a way this book prepared me for what was to come, and after multiple reads, it became my go-to reference when explaining my depression. First off let's give a brief outline of Dementors, these magical wraith-like creatures can generally be found guarding Azkaban Prison, sucking the happiness, hope, and peace out of everyone around them. If you have had a horrible life marked by loss and abuse (just like Harry) you are much more affected by them than someone who has not, as they also cause depression and despair in there victims. They can sense and taste fear, but thankfully they can't seem to tell people of the same build from each other, and they are able to communicate wit

Jessica Jones Episodes 1-2

                                                                          [Courtesy of Marvel/Netflix] Jessica Jones launched this Friday and after a weekend of mostly binge watching I decided it was time to talk about it. I really enjoyed this show and will be giving my opinion on the first two episodes below. SPOILER warning for those who haven't watch any of these episodes as I will be analysing each episode. A.K.A Ladies Night                                                                           [Courtesy of Marvel/Netflix] So in the first episode Jessica (Krysten Ritter) is a loner, she stays from people as they just cause complications. We get a sense that she has done something, something dark, but we don't quite know what it could be. The day starts with an argument with a client who she throws through her door, she then narrates her typical New York day, and she ends it by spying on Luke Cage (Mike Colter). She wakes up in her apartment to find Malcolm

Thanksgiving

                                                                                      [Courtesy of Fox] So I'm Scottish and we don't get the whole Thanksgiving thing, but I have watched a lot of movies and television which give the rest of the world a nice little insight into this holiday. So you have time off work, you're not taking part in those crazy sales (which have also became a tradition over here, thanks), and you're stuffed from eating your weight in delicious foods. What do you watch? Harry Potter                                                                  [Courtesy of Warner Bros] So I don't know about you but nothing screams November more than our beloved Harry Potter, and there are eight movies for you to binge watch throughout the weekend. I just rewatched these and they hold up, you'll feel the magic, panic and feel relieved as the battle comes to a close. Witness Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe), a poor orphan boy who lives in a cu