Skip to main content

Mental Illness in TV and Film - Maniac


I just finished Maniac and I'm dying to talk about its portrayal of Mental Illness, don't worry I won't be spoiling it as I feel that its one of those shows that you have to go into with as minimal context as you can, and just go with it.

It was created by Cary Joji Fukunaga and Patrick Sommerville and stars both Jonah Hill and Emma Stone as our main characters, they both go through a pharmaceutical drug trial for an exciting new mental health drug.

It's filled with so many symptoms of mental illness from addiction, to dissociation, hallucinations and mania to say a few. I will say it is very triggery for someone who has experienced mental illness for most of my life, but the conclusion is worth it.

It's helped me release that it's ok to go through stuff, it's ok to be mentally ill and take extra care of my mind. I've laughed with this show, cried with this show, and let go of the deep shame that I have for my illness.

I don't have the knot in my stomach which is always present when I'm writing about about it, I don't feel sick and ashamed that I'm going to offend someone by talking about it.

I'm not saying it's the magical cure for stigma, I'm very aware that it's still here despite it, and I don't think it's going away anytime soon. But I just don't seem to want to give up the way I always do, and I'm not second-guessing myself while posting this.

Thank you Maniac for letting me be me.

Image Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroes Reborn Premiere Review

I'm going to do a quick overview along with my thoughts on this episode.  SPOILERS ARE COMING! YEH BE WARNED!  What can I say? I was super excited for this series, as I absolutely loved Heroes, but I won't sugar-coat it, I was a tad disappointed. Maybe it was just me building it way up in my head and maybe just like the old show this is going to take a few episodes for me to get into. I don't know, I think it will be different for me on a rewatch. I definitely enjoyed the performances, but something felt missing. So it starts off a few years after the original when humans and evos are living in harmony and a festival is being held in Odessa, Texas (home to primatech) for Humans and Evo's to come together. Then suddenly a dark cloud or ship appears over head. Noah Bennett (Jack Coleman) then wakes up to destruction all around him, he has survived and we have no idea what has happened or why he has survived. We then see four flashbacks which I personally didn...

Agents of Shield - Purpose in the Machine

So yeah I just finished watching Agents of Shield episode two. I was going to leave it until tomorrow morning but I found myself wanting to write about it.  I really enjoyed this episode guys and I am going to tell you why. SPOILERS ARE COMING! Now let's talk about Ward (Brett Dalton), I love hydra Ward best. If Grant has an evil purpose he is better for it, he might not have the girl, but he has a team. Ward is going to cleanse Hydra of all its money lovers. He will form Hydra 2.0, only in it for the destruction. Now that's the Ward we can all get behind, he might be the bad guy, but he's our bad guy. So the episode starts in 18th century England inside a creepy mansion with men in powdered wigs and such. They are technically drawing straws but with stones, the white stone goes in the Portal. He will be missed but they throw out a hydra-esque quib about how they have to sacrifice to learn, wait no one actually comes back. Oh no Simmons! We cut back to present day a...

Labyrinthitis!

                              [Tristar Pictures] No this is nothing to do with David Bowie, Magic or Baby kidnapping. I have labyrinthitis which is a swelling in the labyrinth ear canal which is caused by a bacterial infection, remember that flu I had? So this post is basically to say I won't be posting until I am over it. If there was no Vertigo I'd happily be posting away. But every few minutes the Vertigo hits and I start feeling sick. So my whole point is there will be no posts until I get a handle on this nausea or it goes away. I'm hoping it'll be the first one as it can take up too six weeks to get any better. So I thought I'd take a minute and give you the posts you would have missed out this week. I will be so vague so don't worry about spoilers. Once Upon a Time - Great time in the mid-season finale. Almost cried like a baby but I didn't. Looking forward to seeing the underworld and proba...